|Format||2LP Red Vinyl / CD|
|Catalogue Number||SJRLP151C / SJRCD151C|
Studio One Groups is the latest Soul Jazz/Studio One Records release featuring legendary groups from the foundation label of Reggae. Bob Marley and The Wailers, Toots and the Maytals, The Heptones –just three of Reggae’s greatest groups who all started at Clement Dodd’s Studio One Records, “ The University of Reggae”.
Studio One Groups brings together classic artists alongside lesser-known artists and covers Studio One’s musical output from the 1960s and 70s featuring Ska, Roots, Rocksteady, Dub and more. Clement Dodd’s role in launching and nurturing Reggae groups/singers is unsurpassed. Launching Bob Marley and The Wailers career also meant that Dodd both housed Marley in a flat at Studio One, and employed him to check new American 45s that came out for Studio One artists to cover.
From vocal training under luminaries such as Horace Andy and Larry Marshall, to musical education (Leroy Sibbles, lead vocalist with the Heptones, became the key in-house bass player after being taught from scratch by Jackie Mittoo), Studio One’s success was due to Clement Dodd’s ability to see talent, surround himself with it and nurture artists.
Careers were launched from even minor roles at Studio One such as Lee Perry (from handyman to singer and producer), Prince Buster (from security to singer and producer), and so forth. Studio One Groups are at the heart of the labels success. The sweet three-part harmonies, so close to the heart of Jamaican music, can be heard throughout every stylistic change of Reggae music – Ska, Rocksteady, Roots and beyond, all featured here.
1. The Wailing Souls – Mr Fire Coal Man
2. Righteous Flames – Solid Foundation
3. The Gaylads – Give A Helping Hand
4. The Bassies – Things A Come Up To Bump
5. The Mad Lads – You Will Never Know
6. The Clarendonians – You Can't Be Happy
7. The Consumates – What Is It
8. Carlton and His Shoes – Happy Land
9. The Viceroys – The Struggle
10. The Maytals – I'll Never Grow Old
11. The Heptones – Get in The Groove
12. The Royals – Pick Up the Pieces
13. The Gladiators – Jah Jah Go Before Us
14. Bob Marley and The Wailers – Love & Affection
15. The Stingers – Down Presser International
16. The Cables – Baby Why
17. The Ethiopians – Owe Me No Pay Me
18. The Purpleites – The Pressure Is On
19. The Silvertones – Cheating and Lying